Hi Guys! I hope you have all been well! In the last few months I have been so busy with school and work and extra study, I am finally happy to announce that I became qualified to provide Spray Tans recently! I decided to do this blog post because one of the most common questions I have been getting is ‘Tegan, How do I prepare for a spray tan?’ or ‘How do I keep the tan for as long as possible’ For one, Whenever you get a spray tan done your Beauty Therapist should be giving you Pre-Tan advise/directions and Post-Tan Care- However if you are into the whole DIY thing and love to give yourself a tan with commercial products but don’t know how to prepare or maintain your Tan, I am here to give you those instructions/tips to do so!
A spray tan is a great way to have a natural, professional tan for a limited amount of time. I highly recommend spray tans if you have events on such as weddings, parties, weekends away, festivals etc or simply just to keep naturally bronzed, the healthy way. Getting a Tan is easy, Its preparing for the tan and maintaining it which can be the hard part! Follow these simple tips to ensure your tan looks natural, smooth and is long lasting!
- SHOWERING: Ensure that you do not shower 10-12 hours after your spray tan if you use an original solution and 2-6 hours if you use an express solution. However, keep in mind these times can vary. Depending on what spray tan you get ask your beauty therapist to give you an appropriate time. I find it easier to receive a tan late in the afternoon and not shower until the following morning just to be sure. Showering before the 10-12/2-6 hour time frame may lighten up your colour and impact the results of the spray tan.
- SWEATING/WATER: No sweating, swimming, getting wet or exercising until your first shower after your spray tan. Doing so may cause streaks and these make your tan look fake and blotchy.
- FACIAL WASHING: DO NOT wash your face before your first shower. This also goes for not washing any makeup off your face before you go to bed. Sleep with your makeup on! Putting makeup on after your spray tan is okay, however you CANNOT wash your face until your initial shower. I would suggest after your spray tan not putting makeup on though, its just more of a hastle and sleeping with makeup on is NOT good.
- IMPORTANT: Go easy around water the day you get sprayed – this includes everything from doing dishes to brushing your teeth. While you can still do these things, it is recommended that you use caution when you are near water to ensure you do not mess up your spray tan.
- WORKING OUT: Shower before working out or sweating. Working out with the bronzer on may cause your tan to streak. I recommend rinsing the bronzer off, then working out and then taking a full shower – just so you do not have to take two full showers back-to-back. I suggest to be sure though, don’t work out before your event/reason you are receiving your spray tan.
- REMEMBER: There is a bronzer in the solution, which means that you will have some color immediately after you are sprayed. The color will continue to darken as the solution develops. Your color will lighten after you shower off the bronzer. You will see colour coming off in your first shower. This is normal. Your spray tan is not washing off, it is just bronzer. Bronzer can make you look fake to begin with but DON’T freak out, as I said- after your first shower this bronzer will come off and you will be left with the developing tan.
- SLEEPING: If you are wearing your spray tan to bed, I do recommend placing a towel down underneath you and wearing long sleeves and long pants or covering your hands with socks while you sleep. This will prevent the spray tan from transferring to your hands while you’re sleeping and making them extra dark! This step is extremely important. Your hands can become dark while you sleep and you do not want this.
- TIMES: If you are coming later in the day/night and you can put on the clothes that you are wearing to bed, this is useful!
LONG TERM AFTER CARE:
- AFTER YOUR FIRST SHOWER: Pat dry after your shower. Vigorous rubbing will exfoliate your skin and your tan will not last as long.This can also cause blotching and discoloration in your tan.
- MOISTURISING: I recommend moisturising your skin x2 daily after your first shower. This will act as a barrier for your spray tan and help it stay on longer. I really believe this tip is so important!! Moisturizing helps extend the life of your tan and it helps your tan to fade more evenly. I recommend using a hydrating, non-scented/fragrance-free lotion!
- EXFOLIATION: DO NOT exfoliate with loufas, body scrubs, body washes or soaps with exfoliating beads until your tan starts to fade away. If you do this while your tan is still fresh – you will ruin it.
- OILS/BODY WASHES: DO NOT use scented body washes. Non-scented/fragrance-free body washes and soaps are RECOMMENDED.
- SHAVING: Limit the shaving of your legs, as this is also a form of exfoliating. If your tan is still fresh shaving will only ruin this. I suggest not shaving until you are ready to remove the tan. Avoid hair removal creams also.
- REMEMBER: The tan is not going to just disappear, you are going to notice it fading. You can start exfoliating when you notice it is starting to fade and/or in preparation for your next tan.
- TAN TIMES: Spray tans typically last 4-8 days, however they can last longer or shorter than this. The more you moisturize, the longer the tan can last. You can also apply your sunscreen – especially after prolonged exposure to the sun, being in the ocean or being in the pool. This will help extend the life of your spray tan.
- FOR ALL YOU WATER BABIES: Wait at least one day before going in the ocean or a pool after your tan. Chlorine may make your tan fade faster, however it is not going to remove the tan immediately.
I hope you guys enjoyed these tips and you learnt something about how to maintain a tan and keep it looking natural and real! If you guys want any further information please don’t hesitate to let me know!
Until Next Time
Tegan Audrey X